Monday, October 1, 2007

I moved to Michigan a little over a year ago, and I think it’s a wonderful place! In fact, I’m surprised how much I like it and how quickly I felt at home here. The beautiful scenery, the culture, and the people all make Michigan a place I want to stay. But this budget crisis we’re in is worrying me. I can’t even fathom 1.7 billion dollars! What I do know though is that our legislators have one job that they legally have to complete--and that’s to introduce and ratify a balanced budget. And I know that this is tough, but unlike last year, I don’t want a band-aid. I want to see lasting changes made that will help Michigan grow and prosper, so that I can stay here and raise a family with a good quality of life. I think we’ve cut more services than we can afford to and am glad our elected officials have finally realized it’s time to enhance revenues (yes, that means implement or raise taxes) so that we can function effectively without throwing social programs and those that depend on them out the window. Investing in the future of Michigan and Michiganders by raising taxes a little is a small price to pay for security and prosperity in the long run. I don’t want to see Michigan “race to the bottom,” allowing short-term fixes that benefit a few right now rather than the majority of folks over time. I want to get through this budget stuff and start functioning as a respectable state again. I’m skeptical of those that want to cut all non-essential services to save money, because I think some of these are quite essential! Investing now does save money in the long run. For example, every dollar spent on Family Planning saves three dollars later in Medicaid costs. Helping people with disabilities find work saves millions later in disability benefits, welfare costs, and emergency room visits. To me the bottom line is that Michigan has a responsibility to take care of its people and to provide opportunities for them to prosper. It’s unfair that the hard-headed anti-taxers want to ruin the chance for this to happen.

No comments: