Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Abortion Provider Inverviewd on NPR

Earlier today, I was listening to National Public Radio, via WDET in Detroit, while I was getting some work done. Just as I was about to turn it off and concentrate on some tedious numbers stuff, I heard the next segment advertised. Susan Wicklund was to be interviewed about her recent memoir This Common Secret: My Story as an Abortion Doctor.

Of course, I couldn't turn off the radio then. So I decided to eat my lunch a little earlier than planned and get back to the numbers after the interview.

The interview was really interesting. Dr. Wicklund is a very mild mannered woman, who's caring nature is evident each time she speaks about her patients. Hearing the story about her abortion as a young woman and how that experience made her want to provide safe abortions for women of the next generation was really inspiring.

Hearing how she has been targeted by anti-choice extremists by way of stalking, protests at her home, protests at her daughter's school, and death threats, and how she continued to do the work she believed in because of the energy she got from her patients was also inspiring.

No doctor performing legal and safe procedures should have to go through what Dr. Wicklund did. But her struggles have inspired me to keep working and fighting for what I believe in even when it's hard.

You can hear the interview I heard by clicking here:
http://www.here-now.org/

1 comment:

Angela said...

I wanted to let you know that I picked up Susan Wicklund's book - it's very interesting so far!